This week’s guest is a guy who speaks right to my heart – it’s Bob Burg, author of The Go-Giver. Bob is a strong believer in the principle that giving is just as important as getting – and even more than that, giving freely to others actually helps you get more back in return! That’s exactly what I’ve been saying for years, so obviously Bob and I are on the same wavelength, and he was a natural choice to invite on the show.
Some highlights include:
- At around 2.00 – “we’re told that we need to watch out for ourselves or other people will take advantage of us; that the world is a pie, and if we want a bigger slice we have to take someone else’s. In reality, if you want more pie, bake a bigger pie.”
- At around 6.00, Bob explains that people won’t buy from you because you’re a jerk or not, they buy from you because they believe that it will make them better off than if they don’t.
- At around 10.50, Bob discusses another of my favourite themes – the need to take action immediately when you learn something new to turn it into a habit. Creating positive habits is so important!
- At around 16.10, Bob explains that giving doesn’t have to mean losing money – you can give away info, contacts, education, time, and all of these things have a value to someone else.
- At around 17.40 – “I define selling as identifying what the other person wants, needs, and desires, and helping them get it. When you find that out, you match the benefits of your product with those needs.”
- At around 23.30, Bob explains the characteristics of the Go-Giving leader, and how they realise that leading is as much about the other person as it is about the leader themselves.
- At around 25.40, Bob runs through the five elements of value – this is a key section to listen to, because when you combine a number of these elements into a transaction, you take price out of the equation. Once you offer enough value, people will pay what you’re asking.
- At around 31.10 – “with a great mentor you cut your learning curve down by years and years.”
And to top off all this great info, if you head over to The Go-Giver website, you can get a totally free chapter from all three of Bob’s great books – The Go-Giver, Go-Givers Sell More, and The Go- Giver Leader. Don’t forget to head over there once you’re done listening, because Bob certainly lives by his own philosophy, and that website will provide a ton of value to help you take your business forward.
Like what you hear? Have some suggestions for future episodes? Or maybe you want to provide your own story of a time you gave value to others, and received ten times as much back? Let us know in the comments below!