In this episode of Hardcore MBA Matthew Turner, author of The Successful Mistake talks to Aussie-Londoner author and entrepreneur Marianne Cantwell about “Liminality”. “Liminality” is the central thought of her TEDx NorwichED talk entitled “The Hidden Power of Not (Always) Fitting In” given on March 18, 2017.
- Marianne’s decision to pivot to a new direction and her choice to shut down in 2016 her successful business that developed from her book, “Be a Free Range Human” (2013).
- How the TEDx talk became her launchpad to practice and showcase being “Liminal” – that is, being someone who has a feeling of not quite fitting in.
- What is being liminal for entrepreneurs, and its more powerful position as compared to either being a rebel or a conformist.
- The Liminal questions to find inner strength and what you want to bring out:
- What is it that I feel I have too much of and/or I do not have enough of;
- What is it that is too easy yet when performed or shared, creates a spark in others and most likely I dismiss yet love to do?
- How could these be made into an advantage?
People change as well as industries. Entrepreneurs thus cannot expect their businesses, or even themselves, to stay the same even if it has been successful for many years. Changes will inevitably push individuals towards “borderlands” where one feels being part of differing spaces yet not quite fitting in with any of these.
In this interview, Marianne’s take on “Liminality” which provides a powerful and effective approach for people who feel that they cannot quite fit in yet, sensing that inner power waiting to be set free.
For more information on Marianne Cantwell check out:
- Website: mariannecantwell.com
- Instagram: @freerangemarianne
- Youtube link for TEDx talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnooCepNZv4